Top Social

Does First Year Matter?

Friday 26 February 2016
https://www.ccsf.edu/en/student-services/admissions-and-registration/records/evaluation-and-graduation.html

There is something so frustrating about working really hard at University, only to be told ‘it’s only first year, it doesn’t even matter’.  If anything I'd say this only reinforces the lazy student stereotype, and adds another layer of pressure. Sure, we’ve got bills to pay, relationships to form and a pile of reading that never seems to shift, but now we have to prove that the work we do is worthy? It just baffles me.

I wanted to write this post to reassure those who are going to start university in September or are hearing similar comments from family and friends. First year assessments are worth the effort and those who dismiss your dedication are not who you should be taking advice from.  Learning to manage all the different tasks in your first year- or even your first term- can feel daunting to say the least, so don’t let anyone put you down.

The way I find I can deal with these comments is to find motivation from knowing that the work I do in first year is preparing me for the next, and by treating it with as much seriousness as a final dissertation, it will be not only to a good standard, but something I can be proud of. This is absolutely key, remembering that university is not just to get a degree and make your parents happy, but to discover what you love, to experiment with different things and create an experience in which you grow as a person.

It’s quite rare for me to do such serious posts but I wanted to get this out there. To compare one workload to another and judge how hard they have to work is unnecessary. If you are someone who is convincing yourself that you can just slob about for the first year, it’s inevitable that second year is going to be even more overwhelming. ‘Preparation is key’ is what they always used to say at school and sixth form, and I completely agree. As much as spontaneous adventures are wonderful, when it comes to managing work, it helps to keep on top of things.

Just one last thing, if someone (like me) does a creative degree which has no exams, that doesn’t mean they don’t have a huge amount of work to do. If anything, there are multiple different things that need our attention which vary from academic essays to writing poetry, both of which are more difficult depending on each person. Focus on your own situation and only give positive guidance to others if you feel that they are struggling. 


2 comments on "Does First Year Matter? "
  1. OMG, I can totally relate to this post! It's disappointing when even lecturers tell you "not to worry too much" because "it's only the first year". What if I want to get good grades /because/ it's my first year and I don't want to give a bad impression or to be killed by the workload next year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drives me crazy! I'd be a lot more motivated if the lecturers themselves thought our work was actually worth something. Still, so long as we are coping then we just have to ignore these comments ;) xx

      Delete