Top Social

Top Ten Books of 2018

Thursday 20 December 2018
So 2018 was an intense reading year, especially when I was finishing up my dissertation in the first few months. Those that I didn't review on here, their ratings are up on my Good Reads and can be found here! In total I read 57 books, and have chosen my ten favourites to recommend. 


(Illustration by Manuela Gandara)


Here goes...



1) Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. This is one for the Gatsby fans, as it has equally haunting elements. A young woman marries a mysterious man, moves into his huge house and discovers the eerie consequences of replacing his previous wife. I'm so happy Lizzie suggested this one and endorsed ignoring final assignments to finish it in a single day. 




2) Everything I Know About Love by Dolly Alderton.  I'm pretty sure this was my first ever audible purchase, and it was a good one to start with. Journalist and dating columnist, Dolly Alderton, shares some of the stories and lessons she's learnt in life so far. From WhatsApp romances to landlord-related catastrophes, she celebrates not always having her shit together - something we should all be doing more of... It's funny, heartbreakingly relatable and will remind you how valuable a cuddle with a best friend can be. 





3) Ice-cream for Breakfast by Laura Jane Williams. I listened to this once I'd handed in my final university assignment and left a long term relationship. Essentially: My 'What now?' moment. This book showed me how I could start building a work-life balance which suited me. It gave me permission to abandon the idea of a linear career path, and so much more. Laura writes about the time she took a break from writing to be a nanny, and how being more childlike can change our adult lives. She doesn't sugar coat things, and yet her words are gentle and reassuring. This is literally bravery in a book, and would make a great gift for anyone who feels a little lost in life. 




4) Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. In this, an artist and single mother moves to a town with a tightly knit community. Her hidden past and unconventional parenting approach causes relationships to unravel and secrets to find their way out. We're reminded as readers that trying to control everything often leads to chaos. Also one of the main characters is called Mia, so I couldn't help but like it that little bit more...




5) Normal People by Sally Rooney. This won the Waterstones' book of the year award, and introduced me to this author. The book follows two school friends in an Irish town as they grow up together (and apart). Sally has an incredible writing style, and makes dialogue seem effortless. The story captures the particular sadness of drifting apart from friends, and the particular nostalgia of on-and-off relationships over the years. 




6) Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney. This is probably my favourite out of the two Sally Rooney novels, but I loved them both. Sally writes sex scenes like no-one else (though Caitlin Moran is also a pro), which are equal parts awkward, realistic, funny and intriguing. This story is about a young aspiring writer who gets involved with a married man and is thrown into a new world, observing 'adults'. I loved that the characters make controversial decisions, because who wants to read about flawless humans?




7) I couldn't not include the sequel to How to Build a Girl. Caitlin Moran's How to be Famous explores the life of a writer in London, navigating the world of Bad Men and the 90s music scene. Caitlin's pearls of wisdom can be found on every page, and her writing never fails to make me laugh.  You could definitely read this without reading the first in the series, but I'd recommend you still read that before the third comes out. 




8) I spoke about Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie here, but ultimately it was a fairly short novel which had me hooked. It gives a perspective on Isis that I'd never previously considered, and I genuinely found myself caring about the characters involved. It won the Women's Prize for Fiction 2018, which was well deserved.  




9) I heard about This Really Isn't About You by Jean Hannah Edelstein in the newsletter Conversations on Love (subscribe here). Jean writes about moving across the world, the absurdity of grieving, and how dating can make us lose our sense of self. She turns everyday thoughts, experiences and observations into memorable and special moments. She speaks about how having non-romantic love in our lives is what counts, and what will be best for our wellbeing. Word of warning: it's a sad one, and touches often on mortality, but I couldn't put it down. 




10) My final favourite book of 2018 was The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. This gave me the same fuzzy feeling as the Inkheart series gave my 12 year old self. It's set in Barcelona, and introduces us to 'the cemetery of forgotten books'. I loved diving into this with limited information beforehand, so I won't say too much here, just that it's a great story. I've heard that the second two books in the series aren't as impressive, so I won't be rushing to start those yet. 

That's a wrap! What did you read in 2018?

With best wishes for the new year,

Mia 
Post Comment
Post a Comment