Top Social

Favourite Summer Reads

Friday 14 September 2018
Hello! Somehow it's mid-September already - I hope you enjoyed the summer months. I'll do a wrap up about what I've been up to soon, but for now I thought I'd share some of the books I've read recently. Let me know what you thought if you've read any of them too.




-Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie. Winner of the 2018 women's prize for fiction, this novel is different to anything I've read in a while. It follows the lives of the Home Secretary's family and how three siblings find themselves becoming an international story - as one of them begins to idolise their jihadist father. Shamsie creates believable situations with realistic dialogue and fleshed out characters, which meant I was drawn into the story - to the point that I finished this book in a single day!

-How To Be Famous by Caitlin Moran. This sequel to How to Build a Girl is brilliant! The protagonist, Johanna, is settled in London and living her writing dream, but is still deeply unhappy. From sex shaming, imposter syndrome, and fame, to navigating the music scene as a teenager - this fed my soul. I genuinely laughed out loud and noted down phrases throughout, so if you've not read any of Moran's work, I highly recommend that you do.

-Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney. As soon as I finished this, I instantly wanted to re-read it. I'm still tempted to get it back from my sister before she has a chance to start it! I read Rooney's Normal People earlier this year and liked the dirty realism aspects found in both novels. This follows twenty-one year old aspiring writer, Frances, as she forms a connection with a married couple. The vulnerabilities of each character and the intimacies of their relationships really struck a chord with me, and made me think of youth - with all its naivety and uncertain pleasures.

-The Gloaming by Kirsty Logan. I haven't read Gracekeepers yet but this is the prequel to that, so I'm definitely curious to get my hands on it. This had the perfect balance of magical realism in my opinion, set on an island where occupants end their lives as stone statues atop a cliff. It's enchanting, and reminded me of Ingo by Helen Dunmore - a book which is to blame for my love of the sea.

-All the Good Things by Clare Fisher. If you liked Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, this is similar. Twenty-one year old Beth is documenting the good things in her life, from her prison cell. I love books which make you consider morals and the true perpetrators of crime, and this ticks all the boxes there. It's also got short chapters and is easy to dip into, which makes it perfect for commuting and travelling.

Thanks for reading!



Post Comment
Post a Comment