Top Social

Valentines: The Self-Gift Guide

Tuesday 2 February 2016
I never really liked the idea of Valentines in a romantic sense, and as a child I would spend the day baking with my mother instead. Though being a Bridget Jones stereotype probably had an influence, I'm still not a fan of the cheesiness. Instead, I've decided to see it as a brilliant excuse to treat yourself, a friend (or special friend...) and share the love. And yes, I know pancake day is first up, but I don't think any of us need convincing for such a delicious occasion.

Students are always told to budget and as much as this is a good thing, I do believe it is ok to indulge every so often. Be it the occasional meal out or a full blown haul... I've compiled a list of things I've picked up or have loved in the past.

First up, some Lush products. I love their festive ranges - Easter, Christmas etc, and Valentines is no exception. I actually ended up only buying one limited edition product and a permanent one, which is very impressive. I wish I had a bath in my bedroom at university, but it's nice to look forward to using these when I visit home.


Lover lamp (right): This bath bomb is filled with cocoa butter which melts to create a milky soft bath with a chocolate orange and vanilla scent. The floating red hearts are super cute and create a luxurious experience. For £3,95 I'd say it's a decent price for a large bath bomb- and you could always cut it in half.

French kiss (left):This is made up of relaxing scents including rosemary and lavender, with coconut oil for softness. The bubble bar turns the water a subtle lilac colour, so if you aren't a fan of the glittery bright colours that Lush tend to be known for- then this is a more 'grown up' option. These are reusable, create loads of bubbles and cost £4.25. Side note- I also recommend Lush's massage bars as they smell amazing and are lovely for post bath moisturizing.

In terms of perfume, I had to include my current favourite, Black Opium by YSL. It's dark and sweet with a strong vanilla scent. For a more masculine scent, I'd suggest Mont Blanc Emblem, Fleur de Force mentioned it in her Christmas gift guide and so I had to give it a sniff. This has a very woody smell, with grapefruit, cardamom and black peppercorns for warmth.



Aside from these physical products, I have to say that as a foodie girl, I love both cooking a special meal and being cooked for. So if you can't afford to splurge then there are always gems in the supermarket- seaweed spaghetti, new spices and exotic sauces are some of the things I find really cool. 

A good way of knowing what to buy someone is by checking out their Wantfeed. The site was created by the lovely Stef Michelak who shares a youtube channel with his wife Hannah. They upload weekly family video diaries which are stunning. So Wantfeed is essentially a way of discovering new things you love and creating a pin-board style page. Then, people (think partners, grandparents etc) can find inspiration for what to buy you for Christmas or on birthdays. Each item has a link to where you can buy it, and I'm pretty sure you can now purchase straight through the site itself. I've used this for a while now and it is just as addictive as Tumblr so be warned! 


My Wantfeed page- http://wantfeed.com/MiaRodriguez/wants

I hope you take some time out of work or studying to treat yourself, I certainly will be!



Post Comment
Post a Comment