Top Social

What I Read in January

Friday 2 February 2018
This month has been a real mixed bag, reading wise, as I've been trying to get through my personal 'to-be-read' pile, whole working through books for University assignments. I've ended the month feeling a little burnt out, struggling to focus and really settle into a new story, but I'm happy to have a short break for a while.


  1. Writing Poetry and Getting Published - I read this as part of my research for a writing project unit, and I found this really helpful. It includes games and writing prompts, tips for editing and what to do with your poetry portfolio once it is complete. It's a small book so it doesn't take long to read.
  2. A Galaxy of Her Own - I couldn't resist picking this up in Waterstones, I think partially because I was still on a high after watching the Hidden Figures film, which if you haven't seen - you must! The cover is beautiful and this book is really similar to Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls, with illustrations and profiles on women throughout history who have worked in the space industry (I think that's the right term?) - from engineers to nutritionists and fashion designers. There are great quotes in this and it would make a great coffee table book.
  3. Eating Words - This is a collection of food writing which I started over summer last year! I finally got around to finishing this, and as much as I enjoyed it in parts, it was quite academic and difficult to remember to return to. If you're interested in food writing, it's worth referring to, as it has a broad range of genres and authors from different time periods.
  4. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine - It took me a while to get into this book as the honest dialogue is painful at times, but soon enough I was emotionally invested in the story. The central character is quirky and incredibly isolated, which we learn more about as the novel unfolds. Hilarious, gritty, realistic and mysterious.
  5. Rebecca – I usually don’t choose Classics, and I've not read many, but my friend Lizzie lent me her copy with the promise that I’d be hooked – and she was right. This has definite Great Gatsby elements, with a majority of the novel set in a grand estate, with a mysterious man living behind the doors. The main character is tormented by her new husband's dead ex-wife, and every paranoid feeling she has is palpable - I loved it!
  6. Kitchen – My mum has been recommending this book for ages, and I'm so happy I finally read it. It explores the power of memories, and how kitchens bring so much comfort to our lives. At one point the main character gets a taxi across cities just to give her close friend a taste of the pork katsu ramen she eats for dinner, which made me very happy. 
What have you read this month and do you have any plans to read anything in particular this year? Follow me on Goodreads here if you want more reviews and bookish updates. 

Post Comment
Post a Comment