Top Social

First Reads of The Year - January 2020

Friday 31 January 2020

Hi, hello.

Happy (very belated) New Year!

One month down. We did it. It's been an intense month for me, unfortunately. I also didn't love a lot of the books I discuss below, but I have high hopes for the books due to be published later in the year.

Surrender the Pink by Carrie Fisher 4/5

Carrie was such a brilliant writer. She wrote funny, uncomfortable dialogue and shared the vulnerabilities of her characters in dark, painful character studies. This is wonderful. I'll be reading her other books very soon.

How to be a Poet by Jo Bell and Jane Commane 3/5

I really want to continue playing with poetry this year, as I found the writing process really cathartic in 2019. I thought this would be a good place to start revising. This has lots of useful prompts, activities and advice for drafting and building a poetry collection and approaching publishers, etc. I'd definitely recommend it if you're interested in learning more about writing poetry.

I Feel Bad About My Neck by Nora Ephron 4/5

Witty and hilarious, these articles are on self-consciousness and the struggles of womanhood. I highlighted whole passages that struck me, and I reckon you will too. An easy, amusing read.

Wedding Toasts I'll Never Give by Ada Calhoan 1/5

This was another Leena Norms recommendation, which sadly didn't live up to expectation. I started listening to the audiobook expecting cheekiness and sarcasm, but it was just flat. This book aims to bring new perspectives to concerns about married life, but I didn't find it made me any less cynical or more hopeful. Even the  more dramatic stories and descriptions of her and her partner's affairs were uninteresting.

Post Comment
Post a Comment