Top Social

Aquafaba: Cutting Food Waste With Baking

Tuesday 24 May 2016
I first heard of Aquafaba whilst watching foodie YouTube videos (avoiding work as per usual) and I’ve been hooked ever since! Essentially it is the name given to the liquid in cans of chickpeas and beans, which can be used in replacement of eggs when cooking. The stinky brine contains lots of protein and can be used in tons of recipes, so I experimented for a good few days!

Whisked for ten minutes with sugar and vanilla, Aquafaba worked perfectly in chocolate mousse, creating a bubbly mountain of creamy cocoa. When whipped into a tangy mayonnaise, it was perfect for crunchy potato wedges.But my favourite recipe has to be my lemon meringue pie (pictured  below). Far from traditional, but equally delicious!



 Normally I use loads of eggs in baking, which can become pricey, so I’m glad there is now a solution that uses up leftovers. Whether it’s for breadcrumbing veggies, binding burgers or making yorkshire puds, the options seem endless. I hope you give it a try, don't be put off by the smell! 



Post Comment
Post a Comment