Top Social

12 Anticipated Reads: 2020

Monday 4 November 2019
Here are some of the books being published in the new year that I am VERY excited to read:


  1. The Regrets by Amy Bonnaffons. A love affair between the living and the dead. All I need to know. Bizarre and intriguing. 
  2. So We Can Glow by Leesa Cross-Smith. A short story collection about female desire, obsession and bad behaviour. Yes please. 
  3. Wow, No Thank You by Samantha Irby. I loved We Are Never Meeting in Real Life so I'm really looking forward to this. An essay collection which promises to be raunchy, shockingly honest and funny. 
  4. Writers & Lovers by Lily King. A woman tries to juggle her creative ambitions with her daily life as a waitress. Very relatable. High hopes for this.


  5. A Long Petal of the Sea by Isabel Allende. Two young people flee the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War in search of somewhere to call home. This sounds beautiful and I can't wait to get my hands on it! 
  6. The Squiggly Career by Helen Tupper and Sarah Ellis. On ditching traditional linear career paths and embracing jumping between roles and industries. Hopefully this has some useful insights. Employment can be a tricky thing to navigate...
  7. My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell. 'It's just my luck,' he said, 'that when I finally find a soulmate, she's fifteen years old.' I mean, come on. This has me gripped already. A psychological account of a 'relationship' between a teenager and her teacher. It's been compared to Room and The Girls. I'm imagining that it'll be as powerful as Three Women, too. 
  8. Luster by Raven Leilani. A woman floundering through her twenties (there may be a running theme here...) finds herself in a catastrophic open relationship with a married couple. Sounds gloriously messy. 


  9. All Adults Here by Emma Straub.  Main character suddenly recovers a repressed memory. On family dynamics and midlife crises. Fun! I've had my eye on Emma's Modern Lovers for a while now, too. 
  10. In the Dream House by Carmen Maria Machado. This is a memoir which deals with abusive relationships and plays with horror story tropes. If Her Body and Other Parties is anything to go by, this will no doubt be amazing. 
  11. Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid. A babysitter is accused of kidnapping the child she is looking after, and the awkward consequences of 'transactional' relationships are explored. 
  12. Weather by Jenny Offill. It's been called 'funny and disturbing',  so obviously I can't resist. Here we have a librarian with a interesting side hustle... as a fake therapist. What happens when you try and save everyone? Hopefully we'll find out... 

Lemme know what you're looking forward to reading next.

I'm nosy. Thanks. 

xxx




     



Post Comment
Post a Comment