Top Social

Writing a Dissertation: A Guide By An Anxious Mind

Monday 5 February 2018
If you're in Second Year and getting goosebumps at the thought of your final project, hopefully this post helps you! 

I'm currently writing the second half of my Creative Writing dissertation. It's weirdly split 50/50 between 10,000 and 5,000 words and the final deadline is at the end of April. I achieved a 1st in the first half, which I am really proud of. Obviously, I can't predict the total grade, but I can give coping tips and advice to make it seem a little less daunting.



  • Use the internet! YouTube, Library websites, Google Scholar - even Twitter. Make a list of key sources, terms and ideas and trust me, someone will have created content in that area. Soon you'll have a list of potential books and articles to look for and methods to help you. When I was researching, I found it comforting finding a slight gap in material, where I could see my work fitting in. There was loads to reinterpret and use with my own perspective, especially when it came to literary analysis. 
  • Start Small, and Start Soon. Remember, you can't edit a blank page. The sooner you have some thoughts drafted, you can start to bulk up the content with academic sources and start to see a rough structure forming. Every little helps here. 10,000 words seems like an impossible figure, but once you reach it, it makes other smaller essays seem tiny in comparison. Last minute panic never helps, and getting started early means that when you abandon your first idea despite reaching 8,000 words, there is still time to start from scratch! I still don't know how I managed that..But ultimately the only way to reach that word count, is just to start writing. 
  • Make it interesting. Choose something you're genuinely passionate about, and try to make the initial planning memorable. Eye-catching, colourful, wild mind-maps, or neat and tidy lists - as creative as you like. It won't take long before you start to connect ideas. I don't know about you, but if notes looks aesthetically pleasing, I'm more likely to return to them. Some people say that dolling up notes is a time-waster, but ultimately, there's no rush - you can pace yourself as you wish. Bring on all the highlighters and post it notes!

  • Find unexpected assistance. Discuss your project with others! I found out that my uncle studied a similar unit to a theme within my dissertation, and he gave me a few book suggestions. People might give you advice which you don't feel is relevant, but it's worth a try. They are, most of the time, truly interested in what you are working on, so share - don't hide away, cram and burn out. I'm lucky enough to have a mum who is obsessed with editing (which is great seeing as two of my personal tutors have left me mid-final year!), but meeting up with friends to give each other feedback is another good idea. 
  • Take breaks! I know that self-care has become almost cliche now, but it is important. It makes me so worried watching people panic and stress without taking breathers. I have low days and meltdowns, but giving myself permission to take an hour, or an afternoon, or a full day off to gather my thoughts helps the bad thoughts from spiralling too much. If you work while at Uni and struggle to find balance, making a timetable with hours set aside for yourself is worth doing. It might seem self-indulgent or non-justifiable, but in the long run, prioritizing your mental health is a positive thing. 
  • Remember: you are not your work. It doesn't define you, and regardless of the grade you receive, be proud that you tried! It's cheesy but true. One day you will barely recall the essays you worked on during Uni or school, so just give it your best shot now, and don't overthink it. It's all about trying to highlight all the skills you've learnt over the past few years, and enthusiasm goes a long way as part of that.


Once I've submitted my final piece, I'd love to share more about what my dissertation was about, and make similar posts to this. Let me know if there's anything you're interested in hearing about.


Post Comment
Post a Comment